09 June, 2008

Indicolors

I am amazed at the sheer multitude & abundance of colors (I mean colour) India has been blessed with. Everywhere you look you see varying shades of life. ABCD'S, half baked non residents of no man's lands, and pseudo critical eyes may look down upon the seeming disarray and apparent dishevelment. The bleached variety of our species are dumbfounded when they see a cow or a bull nonchalantly crossing a street or clogging up traffic thoroughfare. They start clicking photos of the same as if these innocent animals were aliens. I am sure the animals in western countries have stopped roaming on the streets for fear of being caught and gobbled up (just kidding!).

Have you ever noticed the absolute innocence in the eyes of a buffalo or the unsteady gait of a calf trying to keep up with its mother? Have you noticed the sheer bravado of a stray pup shouting at a bull (perhaps in an attempt to show off to his girlfriend) and the total disregard on the bull's face? Have you noticed the kinship of stray dog with a child of the streets? Have you noticed how an aging stray dog stands guard over an infant playing on the streets? It is foolish to try and capture such beauty in print. It should leave a mark on one's conscience. You do not need time to observe such things. They are a way of life in India where life means a colorful blend of joys and sorrows.

I do not question why we celebrate so many festivals every year. I love to celebrate all of them. They might be pointless and at times costly but atleast they give us something new to wake up to every morning. Atleast I do not spend my hard earned money in the pubs and nightclubs and contribute to make some low lives richer everyday. I do not pretend to understand the fascination the west holds for the youth today. All I know is that, I wouldn't trade my motherland for any other place on earth.

No comments: