02 February, 2010

On the Rann

Watched Rann last night. To say it was great would be unfair on my part. The concept echoed my thoughts and hence my take is definitely a biased one. It is hard to come by good actors these days, but even harder to find better directors. While I have always sidelined Verma to category B, Rann shows a lot of calibre. Having often chosen Bhandarkar films over RGV's, I feel it necessary to congratulate RGV for his attitude shift and concluding the movie on a hopeful note.

Ritesh was refreshing. Veterans like Paresh Rawal, Monish Behl, Rajat Kapoor need no calibration. Amitabh yet again wins hands down for his depth and delivery. The characters are well defined and the plot is nicely paced.

The surprise element of the movie however, is not in its story. The character of Jai Mallik played by Kannada actor Sudeep steals the show. Several hearts broke for Jai. A new star emerged after a long cold period of chocolate heroes. Sudeep lives up to the quintessential model of tall-dark-handsome as well as the angry-young-man. After his highly forgettable role in Phoonk, Sudeep, thanks to RGV, seems to have finally found a footing in Bollywood. I hope he is here to stay.

As is apparent from above, my judgment of the movie is perhaps a little skewed. Hence, I leave it to you to watch the movie (or not) and draw your own conclusions.

No comments: