26 May, 2008

English is easy

I am lucky to have a father who is a convent educated walking-talking dictionary of the English language. He created the basic platform for me to learn accent free English. I was lucky again in my schooling where my teachers spoke excellent English. I have often been complimented on my English by people of different races. Not all of us are that lucky I know, yet....

How difficult can it be to speak fluent English? Why do most Indians have a mother tongue influence only while speaking English but can converse like a pro in other regional languages? What can be so difficult about speaking accent free, grammatically correct sentences in ENGLISH???

I have nothing against those who choose not to learn English. In fact I am proud of them and think of them as true Indians. At least they have an identity. I love all Indians who travel to foreign lands knowing just their mother tongue and force foreigners to decipher their signals. But what about those who choose to learn half baked stuff and cannot even carry it off?

Why then do we get angry when a white skin mocks our accent yet choose to keep quite when he speaks ridiculous Hindi (and do not give me the cultural values crap). Why do we at all respond to foreigners who do not even bother to bring a language dictionary along on their trips to India? Meet the same foreigner in Spain or Italy or Russia or for that matter in Afghanistan and he will have invested in a local language dictionary.

Meet a Russian or an Israeli and u know he/she understands perfect English, but will not speak the same out of sheer pride for their own language.

Are Indians greedy? Do we really still nurture a slave mentality? Questions like these result in heated arguments in the so called "intellectual" communities. When will we face up to reality? How long will it take for Indians to discover their true individualities?

No comments: